Monday, January 5, 2009

Uninvited Guest...


Without an invitation...we had a little critter come in from the cold outside to our warm inside....did I mention she came uninvited?
Much to my dismay this morning, while making breakfast with the kiddo's...I am informed that someone saw something move over by the sink. When I inquire "What did it look like?" Instead of a description like I was expecting (I figured it was a spider or something) She says, it looked like a chipmunk.....A What???? EEkkk.
J. than chimes in and says, "yep, mom I saw it, it was a mouse."
We quickly (and loudly-to keep the critter in hiding) finish making and eating breakfast. I call DJ to find out if we have any mouse traps...I'm put on hold, and during my wait the little bugger comes back out for a stroll along the cupboard base. I thought mice are suppose to be more scared of us, than we are of them...Apparently not this one!
Now I knew I did not like mice, but I had no idea that the sight of one in my home would cause me to jump on a chair and scream.....Seriously, did that scream just come out of me??? Good thing I was on hold, and DJ or worse, one of his co-workers did not have to witness the rucus coming from our home.
It's a bit more difficult to convince the kids that mice are nothing to be afraid of, with the "they are much smaller than you speil"...when they have all just witnessed you jump on a chair and screach!
When I called for help & encouragement during what I think was kind of a BIG ordeal, I was met with some great comments such as;
"What did you expect? It's cold outside & you live in a field."
"You know they say for every 1 you see, there are 10 you don't see."
"Where there is one, there is more."
"Did I tell you how many mice I caught last winter? 11"
*Thanks guys for your help of "laughter"....I stopped being freaked out by about dinner time:)
We did manage through the rest of our day trying to ignore the fact there was a real possibility one of us could run into our uninvited guest at anytime. PTL! She has not shown herself again and I'm hoping she will vacate and go back to her own house soon.

2 comments:

Heidi said...

I have also had some uninvited guest! where I use to live I was doing some hot sweety exercising with that super cool Suzanne Summers thigh master (which by the way doesn't work) and I look over and this little perverted Mouse was watching me intensly! I closed my eyes and screamed and stomped my foot towards it trying to scare it away becasue it was right in the middle of the door way out BUT it still sat there! I think it wanted to be my friend... but I sqeezed my eyes and ran for it. I made it out alive! Hey, keep on blogging I love to see what your up to.

momof3 said...

That is such a great story, I would definitely react the same way you did. Only worse I think, I do not like mice inside so I'm guessing I would pack up the kids and hire an exterminator:) Then of course my husband would laugh about it for the rest of our lives.